Re: successful build and unsuccessful test of ecgs-1.0.3a ...

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1
> >
> > 	while the package seems to compile fine "make check" fails
> > testing libio (using the dejagnu-980528 snapshot).  i've listed an
> > excerpt from that log at the end of this message and can provide the
> > whole log on request.
> >
> > Running ../../../../egcs-1.0.3a/libio/testsuite/libio.tests/tfformat.exp ...
> > FAIL: tfformat.c compilation
> > Running ../../../../egcs-1.0.3a/libio/testsuite/libio.tests/tiformat.exp ...
> > FAIL: tiformat.c compilation
>
> dejagnu-980528 is quite buggy. dejagnu-971222 is ok with my patch.
>
> Jeff, what is wrong with my dejagnu patch? It looks like quite a
> few people who have similar build directory structure which triggers
> the dejagnu bug. It doesn't do egcs any good when people report egcs
> 1.0.3a "make check" failures in libio on linux.

sorry, but i don't think that matches my results.  i had originally
gotten a marginally successful check of egcs-1.0.3a using dejagnu-971222
... at least it was as successful as my pgcc patched version of egcs-1.0.2
had been which is to say that it reported about a dozen or so unexpected
errors.  i tried to 'make check' (still using dejagnu-971222) again and
it failed after the libio the second time.  this was the reason i switched
to the dejagnu-980528 snapshot.

	i haven't succeeded in getting either dejagnu snapshot past the
libio check since and have tried such things as freshly unpacking
both dejagnu snapshots, freshly unpacked egcs-1.0.3a, designating gcc
2.7.2.x as the compiler for building both dejagnu and egcs, making a
link on the level of the egcs directory to 'dejagnu', etc.  i have not
yet manually removed all the dejagnu detritus before installing over
the top of it with a build from the new snapshot, but you indicate by
your comment that the older dejagnu is adequate for the task of checking
egcs-1.0.3a that this shouldn't be necessary.

	for kicks i just unpacked dejagnu-971222, built it and installed
it.  i also provided a link to it from 'dejagnu' in the directory both
it and egcs-1.0.3a are rooted in.  i then tried a 'make check' of the
egcs-1.0.3a package and it failed in exactly the same spots on the
libio check, so even if the newer dejagnu snapshot is buggy it isn't
causing this fault.  i thought this might help narrow down the problem
some.

                        erik 'evil veteran programmer' vogan

~ Of all the races in all of the Galaxy who could have come and said a
big hello to the planet Earth, he thought, didn't it just have to be the
Vogons.                                             - HHGttG