egcs-1.1 release schedule

                                  egcs-1.1

   The egcs project is rapidly approaching its second major release
   (egcs-1.1).

   This page is meant to provide information about the current schedule
   for egcs-1.1, the testing/release criteria for egcs-1.1, new features
   to be found in egcs-1.1, etc.

   The tenative schedule for the egcs-1.1 release is:
     * July 3, 1998. Feature freeze date.
       All new features, optimizations, etc need to be submitted by this
       date. It is very likely we will not be able to integrate all the
       submissions, but we want to have all of them available for
       evaluation by this date.
       It is also possible some patches which have been submitted and are
       accepted for egcs-1.1 will not have been installed by this date
       due to EOQ committments for many of the Cygnus volunteers.
       After July 3, 1998, only bugfix submissions will be considered for
       the egcs-1.1 release.
       By July 3, 1998, we also want to have a testing plan and release
       criteria in place.
     * July 11, 1998. Branch Creation & Testing.
       We will create the egcs-1.1 branch on this date and snapshots will
       occur from the egcs-1.1 branch instead of the mainline sources.
       By this date we'd like to have all the new features,
       optimizations, etc slated for the egcs-1.1 release installed in
       the source tree.
       We also expect wide scale, focused testing to start on July 11th.
     * July 31, 1998. Critial Bug Freeze Date.
       If at all possible we would like to see the release sources freeze
       except for critical bug fixes by July 31st. This may be overly
       optimistic, but it's important to have a goal to shoot for.

   I would like to release as soon as possible in early August.

   Note that we have the ability to install changes into the mainline
   sources during this process. However, I personally will be focusing
   more and more on egcs-1.1 specific issues.

   It is highly likely we will have some minor releases based on
   egcs-1.1; we will cross that bridge when the time comes.

   I also want to do a post-release review of the proposed schedule vs
   the actual schedule used for egcs-1.1 so that we can improve the
   process in the future.

This message (and future updates) is available on
http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/egcs-1.1.html