Re: g77 support for structure, record and pointer

>Can anyone inform me as to the current and prospective status of g77
>support for STRUCTURE, RECORD and POINTER?

Perhaps within the next 12 months for POINTER; probably well
beyond that for the others.

>We may be able to contribute some assistance with this (too early to
>say for sure yet), if the work required is not too onerous. I note in
>the info pages for g77 (and browsing the code) that most of the
>parsing support is already present for structure and record. However,
>the info pages suggest there is a large body of work required to
>modify libf2c to support structures. I don't understand this. From a
>naive point of view, I can't see how libf2c even needs to know about
>structures.

When doing I/O of an entire structure, it'd need to know.  Of course,
that support could be added later.

I have begun to think that maybe libf2c doesn't need any changing
to enable full support for POINTER, however -- though I haven't
studied the issue fully yet.

Some of the g77 parser (the front end) is about to be rewritten,
making finishing support for STRUCTURE/UNION/RECORD/MAP and adding
support for POINTER much easier.  This is referred to as the 0.6
rewrite.  It's probably unwise to try to add these things before
that rewrite happens.

>If anyone can enlighten me on this, or suggest a more appropriate
>place to direct these questions it'd be greatly appreciated.

The g77 docs have info on these projects, and

  <ftp://alpha.gnu.org/g77.plan>

is sometimes helpful in finding recent info on g77.

        tq vm, (burley)