Re: How to get top-level library installed in lib/gcc-lib/...?

>  In message <199806061556.LAA00752@melange.gnu.org>you write:
>  > Now, I have to figure out how to acquire the appropriate definition
>  > of `target_alias'.  Maybe it's happening automatically already, but
>  > it's so hard reading this stuff.
>I believe target_alias is passed in by the toplevel configure files
>based on your configure command.

I don't know what "based on your configure command" means, and I can't
get it to work, either by doing "target_alias = @target_alias@" in
libf2c/Makefile.in or by simply leaving that line out entirely and
leaving it up to the parent Makefile to pass it in.

I'm going to punt both this and the gcc version string I went to the
trouble of getting to work.  It's just too silly to have any subdirectory
poking into a parent or, worse, sibling directory to extract info that
really should be passed down "nicely" by the parent directory.  By
"silly" I mean it'd be a kludge just waiting to bite someone down
the road -- violating the kind of data hiding we should be
encouraging, even though we keep insisting on using these tools
that discourage it.  :(

So, once my new patches get installed, libf2c won't build, until
the parent directory is fixed.  I'll try and make the diagnostics
"friendly".  There are a bunch more changes I'll be making that
destabilize the g77/libf2c stuff for a short time anyway, so this
shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully someone will improve the top-level Makefile to pass down
the appropriate version and target_alias information soon.  I would
think the top-level directory should really have its own version.c
file that is "superior" to the one in the gcc/ directory, and
related infrastructure modified accordingly, but don't know enough
to be sure, or suggest much about how it should be done, certainly
not enough to submit any patches....

        tq vm, (burley)