Re: Loop unrolling

> Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 16:09:22 -0600
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@hurl.cygnus.com>

> An empty loop would be a loop with a body that consists of a counter
> increment and branch to the top of the loop (at the RTL level).
> Nothing more, nothing less.

> I don't think trying to describe what an empty loop is with C
> source is all that interesting since in the end it's going to be
> detected by the loop optimizer.

Well, this wasn't the result of the consersation when last we agreed
on what to do and what the doc meant and what the compiler should do.
The decision whether or not a loop could be removed was to be decided
by the source input tokens to the lexer.  Not by the existing rtl
codes.

Oh course, the optimizer still has to examine the loop to figure out
if it can remove it but this is separate if you will...