Re: big binary

  In message <3580341c453c753@mhub1.tc.umn.edu>you write:
  > hi: i built the latest snapshot of egcs on an alpha rh5.0.  both with gcc
  > 2.7.2.3 and an earlier egcs (redhat rpm) release and binutils 2.8.0.1.23.
  > the resulting executables are 5meg+ in size. i wonder about this-though
  > they seem to compile ok and the compiled binaries seem to run ok.
  > i built with --disable-haifa and --enable-shared.  there were several
  > compile warnings during each build.
  > the redhat rpm egcs executables are 1.7meg or so.
  > i am just curious about the size differences.
  > martin rosenstein <rosen054@gold.tc.umn.edu>
I'd bet the difference is debug symbols.

It sounds like the rpms you've used in the past built the compiler
without debug symbols.

By default when you get the compiler from us, it will build with
debug symbols.

You can use 'make bootstrap BOOT_CFLAGS="-O2"' to build the
compiler without debug symbols.

jeff