Re: templates lead to horrendous error messages

 (Sorry about the delay... it's been an interesting week. ;-)

> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998, Dave Steffen wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> >    Allow me to pick a nit: lately I've gotten fancy with templates,
> >    which means that now if I screw something up (like forgetting to
> >    put a .c_str() on the end of a string when sending it off to a
> >    function that wants a char*), I get error messages that look like
> >    this:
>
> Welcome to C++. This problem isn't unique to the GNU compiler.
>
> With Microsoft's compiler, for example, you trigger a whole flood
> of warning messages informing you that in building the debugging
> information, symbols had to be truncated to 256 characters.
>
> What's worse, their warning cannot be disabled on the command line,
> only with a #pragma.

  Well, right, it's a C++ thing. (And I'm inclined to think that
  Microsoft products suck, just on general principles. But that's
  another story. ;-)

  What I'm wondering is if it's feasable to fix this problem -
  ideally, by generating error messages based on the typdefs in the
  code, as opposed to the actual, grungy, underlying type.

  It seems to me that this would be a _very_ useful feature to have in
  a compiler.

Dave Steffen                      Wave after wave will flow with the tide
Dept. of Physics                    And bury the world as it does
Colorado State University         Tide after tide will flow and recede
steffend@lamar.colostate.edu        Leaving life to go on as it was...
							- Peart / RUSH
"The reason that our people suffer in this way....
is that our ancestors failed to rule wisely".   -General Choi, Hong Hi