How to know if compiler is Safe?

I'm new to egcs.  Currently, I'm using the egcs-1.0.3 binary distribution
from sunsite, and it appears to work fine, I've been compiling kernels and
other various things (with -O6 -mpentium). I'd like to use one of the
snapshots. But when I compile it and run the testsuite, there are
unexpected errors.  Should I worry about these?  How will I know if it's
safe to install, and use for general compilation?  Should I be getting no
unexpected errors?  And what do you guys think about pgcc?  It appears to
use the haifa flag when compiling.  Does it optimize much better than
egcs?  Sorry for all these questions, but they don't seem to be answered
on the FAQ.  ;-)

-Dave