Re: questions about improving i386 PIC code

> What's the feasibility / ramifications of deferring generating
> the assembler code for static functions until all other functions
> have been compiled?  This way we can detect if the function is
> only referenced in calls in which case the pic register doesn't
> need to be reloaded.

We already do that if the function appears to be reasonably small and
the options -finline-functions is in effect.

But then, you wouln't see the code for the inlined function unless there
is something special, like a recursive call or a call before definition.
Or if you take the address of the function; then you loose anyways.