How to get top-level library installed in lib/gcc-lib/...?

I'm working on modifying egcs' version of g77 to conform to g77 0.5.23.
That version of g77 no longer installs any library in $(prefix)/lib
or any include file in $(includedir) ($(prefix)/include).

Instead, g77 0.5.23 installs libg2c.a (which used to be named
libf2c.a, renamed to avoid conflicts with libf2c.a should the
sysadmin want to install both by hand in /usr/lib, for example)
in $(libsubdir).

egcs/gcc/Makefile.in derives its definition of $(libsubdir) from
$(version), which it gets, in turn, from egcs/gcc/configure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for how to get the same
definition of $(libsubdir) so the egcs/libf2c/Makefile.in file
can copy libg2c.a into it (and g2c.h into $(libsubdir)/include)?

Just pulling in the relevant line from egcs/gcc/configure to set,
and define when making egcs/libf2c/Makefile, the $(version) macro,
isn't straightforward, because egcs/gcc/configure is a shell
script as source code, while egcs/libf2c/configure is an autoconf-
produced shell script (and I don't know much about writing autoconf
source, so I can't just translate the "version=`sed ...`" into
autoconf source offhand).

(I guess any other library that goes into $(libsubdir) is still
located and built under egcs/gcc.)

        tq vm, (burley)