Re: A tricky C++ bug.

Forwarded message:
> From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Jun  3 12:00:24 1998
> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:49:55 +0100 (BST)
> From: root of all evil <>
> To: hjl@lucon.org, kunert@physik.tu-dresden.de
> Subject: Re: A tricky C++ bug.
>
> Hello to both of you.
>
> The C++ bug in question is from Wei Dai's <weidai@eskimo.com>
> cryptographic library, crypto23.zip, which is obtainable from
> www.eskimo.com/~weidai, and then following links. I apologise if this is
> restating information that has already been passed on.
>
> I have been having a problem with this library too (in fact I noticed that
> H.J. Lu has rephrased my rather inept questions properly and got replies.
> That's why I'm writing this e-mail).
>
> The problem is that when I run the verification auite, it has a
> segmentation fault immediatly after the EC2N verification suite. I know
> that H.J. Lu has simplified the problem, and recieved a reply about it,
> but this seemed to be sent directly to him. I have guessed this from a
> "reply to a reply" that was posted to the egcs-list as a CC from an mail
> to Thomas. This seemed to suggest commenting out a "template" statement in
> ths code. I tried this, and I got a lot of errors. I haven't listed them
> here. I would like to resolve this problem for 2 reasons. Firstly, I would
> like to have a fully working program, and secondly, Wei Dai would also
> like to know what the problem is.

I have provided 2 patches for egcs 1.0.3. One is auto_ptr and the
other is a back port of Jason's patch. They are at

ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl/egcs-1.0.3.diff.1
ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl/egcs-1.0.3.diff.2

With them applied, crypto23.zip seems to compiled ok.

BTW, crypto23.zip still has some problems with the latest egcs.

> I appreciate any information or suggestions you could pass my way.

There is no return address.

H.J.