This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: why isn't the .eh_frame section marked READONLY?
- To: jason at cygnus dot com (Jason Merrill)
- Subject: Re: why isn't the .eh_frame section marked READONLY?
- From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys dot com>
- Date: Tue, 2 Jun 98 9:27:49 PDT
- Cc: egcs at cygnus dot com
> >>>>> Joe Buck <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> > Some folks in comp.os.linux.development.system are asking why
> > the .eh_frame section isn't readonly. It's never changed at
> > runtime, is it? Is there some other reason it must be writable?
> Because it has relocations, so the dynamic loader needs to fix it up.
As someone else asked: that explains why it is not readonly when -fPIC
is provided. But why isn't it readonly if -fPIC is not provided? After
all, in that same situation the text section is readonly even though it