How to compile KDE Beta 4 using egcs, without patching KDE or egcs

Ok, it might be old news, but I've only just discovered it, and I feel
everyone should hear about this, as it's one of those helpful pieces of
information.

If you are getting an "_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: errno: 111" from your X
server, then the fix is below.

I know for sure that on an x86, if you compile your kernel using egcs (or
gcc 2.8) then the optimisation will actually optimise out and important
section.

Actually, this section is *so* important, you won't notice it until you try
to compile KDE Beta 4. This may also prevent you compiling qt-1.33, as I
couldn't compile that either, so I went and got the binaries.

So, the quick method for fixing the kernel: Get hold of a copy of ioport.c
from kernel 2.1.40 (I'm 90% sure that this is the version, if not, go up a
few...) from sunsite or kernel.org and replace the one you have, and
recompile. Alternatively, you can just compile your kernel on a machine
using gcc 2.7, and this also works, (and is how I'm, working until I
recompile)

This information was provided by a "Orac" on irc.linpeople.org, so take up
any questions you have with him (or her(?))

This message has been posted to both egcs and egcs-bugs.

Apologies if everyone know this information already or if I have posted to
the wrong place.

Stay happy.
Richard Rose