Re: FAQ update: Bootstrap loops...

	    Unfortunately, I've not been able to get specific
	information on the bug, other than the statement that
	SGI's `make' on Irix 5.2 has a slightly brain-damaged
	concept of a target being up-to-date.

I have discussed this on egcs before.  The problem is with rules that
look like this

multilib.h: s-mlib; @true

This should cause multilib.h to be updated only once.  SGI make however thinks
that multilib.h changes everytime we visit this rule, which causes things
that depend on multilib.h to be rebuilt, etc.  This results in much needless
rebuilding of files.

	    This is a bug with Irix 5.2 make, not the Makefile.
	`smake,' which SGI tech support assures me always ships
	along with `make,' does not have this bug.  SGI tech
	support also states that smake is `just better' than
	make.

Thanks.  I hadn't thought to look for another make program.  I will try
recommending smake next time someone runs into this problem.

Jim