Re: x86 gas "hides" reported egcs/dwarf build problem

RJL> Oh.  Duh.  Another reason this doesn't show up on Linux is that
RJL> dwarf isn't the default.  You have to whack Linux with -gdwarf to
RJL> get it to fail.

HJL> That is one reason why Linux doesn't use DWARF as default. My time
HJL> is better spent on something else.

Considering the state of the GNU tools w.r.t. DWARF at the time
you made that decision for Linux, it was clearly the right one.  I
understand that it's been fairly recently that the functionality of
DWARF debugging with GNU tools has reached that of the STABS format.
But GAS (required for STABS) doesn't deliver all the functionality we
need in OpenServer-land without a lot of largely pointless work.

The point wasn't that I was trying to break Linux or pressure anyone to
switch the default.  It was that the problem I cited preproducable on
Linux which is a much more common host/target on this list.

RJL