Re: an experiment with garbage collection

I generally like this idea.  It solves some of the copy to permanent
type things, the `we freed it too soon' problem, and can wind up
freeing things that aren't used anymore, but we just got the calls to
obstack wrong.  We will just need to be careful to zero out any stray
pointers that we don't need anymore in order to keep memory usage down.

Let us know what type of results you see in working set size, and max
memory used and compilation speed.