Re: egcs-1998-04-18: Typos in gcc/haifa-schedule.c, bad default specs

  In message <199804211613.JAA20747@cygnus.com>you write:
  > Yeah, that would be true if all guys asking here would know about the
  > cvsweb possibility and how to use it.

  > The link on the web page is quite
  > hidden and in the INSTALL/FAQ it is still a "to be implemented" ite
The best way to deal with these things is to help :-)

I agree the link on the web page isn't easily found (hell, it took
me a while to find it the first time though).

So why don't you send a patch to the web pages to improve the situation?

They can be checked out via "cvs co wwwdocs", you can send patches to
them just like any other code in the project.

I'm not an HTML or web page design guru.  In fact, I'm terrible at web
stuff, so suggestions/patches for the web page are greatly appreciated.

  > The
  > "look in the mail archive first before asking here" messages aren't very
  > helpful either, as long as the archive is not searchable via WebGlimpse (I
  > searched once an hour for a specific patch from H.J.Lu, back then the
  > archive covered only three months).
Yes, this is a problem.  Again, contributions for a search engine
on the mail archives would be greatly appreciated.  This may just be
a matter of tweaking the glimpse code.  I don't really know.

Note we have to be careful with indexing the mail archives -- the
whole recent archiver shutdown was due to indexing of the win32
archives sucking up every last byte of disk space on the web server :(

  > - mention cvsweb in INSTALL/* (I could prepare some text if you like)
INSTALL as it stands will probably disappear from the CVS repository,
it is redundant with the official web pages in wwwdocs.

We'll still include it with releases and maybe in snapshots, but
it needs to be revamped to work with the official web pages which
are kept elsewhere in the repository.

I just haven't figured out the best way to do this.

  > - bigger link to cvsweb with more comments on main web page
Awaiting patch :-)

  > - add an "X-Look-here-first-for-trivial-snapshot-patches: <cvsweb-URL>"
  > header to all mail sent out by majordomo ;-)
:-)

  > - mention cvsweb in your replies from time to time
Good point.

  > - searchable mail archive
Desparately needed.

jeff