Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation

>While I *personally* think it's a great idea, there are some drawbacks:
>
>  * For years folks have been striving to make the gnu tools easier
>  to build/install and have been preacing the "tar xzf blah.tar.gz; cd blah;
>  configure; make" as all they need to do for most installations.

Oops, I think I misspoke about "my" idea.  I didn't mean to reject
that kind of configuration; I meant to reject the kind where,
after "cd blah", people do "mkdir obj; ../configure; make".

Indeed I don't want to disallow something that people have used, and
that has worked, for a long time.  Just the one thing that we've
been discussing that doesn't work, but fails in a way that is hard
for people to understand: building in a separate objdir that also
is a subdirectory of the srcdir.

I think the pseudo-sh code I posted earlier is probably easily edited
to accommodate that (e.g. "rm -f ${srcdir}/${INOBJ}" just before
the "find" command, or similar).  But I still assume my code is
a slow, default way to do things.

Sorry for the confusion.

        tq vm, (burley)