Re: egcs-problem 1.0.2

  In message <m0yLuSz-00058iC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:
  > > This is the "linux asm" problem that I haven't been able to look at
  > > for the last month or so due to personal and company commitments.
  > >
  > > Basically there's a couple problems:
  > >
  > >   * The linux x86 asm for strstr is totally bogus.
  >
  > Does the code below make sense?
Not sure what you're asking.  If you want I can resend the analysis.
Basically the clobbers are bogus and the asm itself uses too many
registers to be safely compiled.

This is the exact code we're using as an example of the asm problems
that we need to address.

  > >   * GCC does not issue a warning/error when it encouters the bogus
  > >   asm and instead generates incorrect code.
  >
  > Agreed. I don't think it is too hard to issue an error.
The problem is that many linux asms use a invalid construct, so
the error has to be conditional so that the linux folks have the
opportunity to transition away from the bogus way they've been
writing asms.

jeff