Re: Success on DEC OSF/1 4.0 egcs 1.02

> Well, egcs 1.0.2 compiled fine on our DEC Alphastation 500 running OSF/1
> Digital UNIX 4.0, and it seems to compile things just fine.
>
> (Besides the fact that it's core usage grows up to the hilarious amount
> of 127 MB when compiling through some --very nasty-- template instantiation
> and then produces assembler output that induces an assembler  warning saying
> "line too long", followed by a nearly 18 MB core dump of the DEC Assembler.
> But looking at the source file, I guess it's not actually egcs' fault.

Well, it is in a way: the name mangling scheme wasn't really designed
for templates.  And that memory use is still too high, even for complex
templates.

There is a new, experimental mangling scheme called "squangle" (a
combination of "squish" and "mangle") that is much more compact for
STL-style template names; in the snapshots it is turned on by -fsquangle.
Problem: you'd need to build libstdc++ with this switch as well, and
the binutils would need to be updated to understand it.

(but -fsquangle is only in the snapshots, not 1.0.2)