built egcs

 As requested, one note; I've just built and installed egcs-980205.

 (testing it on a tiny c hello world program works, as does the same thing
in C++ using iostreams and linking with -lg++, so I assume that the
rest of the installation is okay. Not run the testsuite, because I don't
have dejagnu installed.)

 In order to get it to build, I had to set
GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/lib/gcc-lib, make bootstrap, watch until it failed
trying to make c++filt, unset GCC_EXEC_PREFIX, and then continue the make
process. (GCC_EXEC_PREFIX is not normally set).

 This is because the system original gcc has '.' in the search-path for
`specs' files, and so when trying to compile (amongst other things)
libgcc, it used the specs file in the build directory. This specs file
contains things that make the original system gcc fail (all the %{m...}
options in cpp_cpu, to be precise, come out as `__' in the command-line,
because of the %[cpp_cpu] line in the *cpp section in the local specs
file).

 Thus, I had to point gcc at the system gcc to get this build working; it
then fails later on trying to build c++filt (missing symbols
__register_frame_info and __deregister_frame_info at link-time), but
clearing GCC_EXEC_PREFIX solves this, and it continues the remaining
stages of make successfully.

 The local gcc setup here is somewhat strange, so this may well not be a
problem on most systems; I suspect the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX thing is local to
this compiler setup, which I inherited from someone else and have, to be
frank, been scared to touch in case I break it all..

 (for comparison's sake, for instance, gcc-2.8.0 doesn't even remotely
start to build, failing to find cc1; presumably the same GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
thing would fix this, on reflection).

 I'm just rebuilding egcs to turn the multilib stuff on, and now that the
system compiler is egcs, it builds successfully; it seems that the local
`specs' file that lives in egcs/gcc/specs when building breaks the `gcc'
that comes with 2.7.2.1. Possibly.

 Running egcs-980205/config.guess gives i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.

 Hope this information is of some use to someone..

 -- dan