Re: GCC/ObjC enhancements, comments requested

rth@cygnus.com (Richard Henderson) writes:

> Which can be arbitrarily complex for any given target.  Sorry to
> rain on your parade, but the calling conventions for Sparc v9 and
> MIPS n64, to name two examples, are quite nasty (but efficient)
> when it comes to passing structs by value.

Yes they are nasty, but manageable.  I don't believe n64 is really
that much more complex than n32, which I have working in libffi
(although GCC doesn't get it right).  Perhaps these ABIs seem nastier
than they really are when you are constrained by the framework GCC
provides for describing them.

I just read Scott's proposal.  It seems to me that adding this
facility to GCC is a mistake, and that it more properly belongs as a
seperate library.  Yes, GCC knows about the various calling
conventions, but it really doesn't provide anything you can take
advantage of to make the task of dynamic function call invocations any
simpler.

Try either libffi or Bruno Haible's library.

AG

--
Anthony Green                                               Cygnus Solutions
                                                       Sunnyvale, California