collect2 always built?

Is this an egcs thing or a gcc 2.8 thing?... Under egcs, --with-gnu-ld in
the configuration causes collect2 ($(libsubdir)/ld) to be built and
installed at all times as opposed to gcc 2.7.x', where the GNU ld is assumed
to handle constructors and destructors of static items properly.  Which is
correct?  I'm currently just deleting the installed collect2 binary and all
works fine.

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price