gcc already present - can I protect old version?

I have loaded and unpacked egcs-1.0.1.tar.gz from an ftp site.

./configure ran and generated a Makefile

I already have gcc v2.7 (.?.?) on my machine (PP200 running Linux
2.0.30), and do not want to lose this. If I run

make

will I produce a new gcc compiler? I see no reason to not just leave
the old compiler there.

(I am relying on the generic make, because even though I only want
g77, I am not sufficiently knowledgable on script files, compiler
builders, etc, to sort through the g77-only make procedure - I just
don't want to potentially lose my perfectly good gcc compiler in
the process.)