Re: delta88 also broken - Was: Re: crtstuff.c change is bad for (at least) OpenServer

>  > I can't figure out of this is actually a bug or not, but I've partially
>  > analyzed a one line change that EGCS just inherited from 2.8.0 that kills
>  > COFF code generation on OpenServer dead.
>
> Same here with an m88k-motorola-sysv3 COFF system!

Bummer.

>  > static void
>  > __do_global_ctors_aux ()        /* prologue goes in .text section */
>  > {
>  >   asm (INIT_SECTION_ASM_OP);
>  >   DO_GLOBAL_CTORS_BODY;
>  >   ON_EXIT (__do_global_dtors, 0);
>  > #ifdef FORCE_INIT_SECTION_ALIGN
>  >   FORCE_INIT_SECTION_ALIGN;
>  > #endif
>  > // robertl This next line is the one that does us in.
>  >   asm (TEXT_SECTION_ASM_OP);
>  > }                               /* epilogue and body go in .init section */
>
> Removing the `asm (TEXT_SECTION_ASM_OP);' cured it for me.

That's exactly the solution for my COFF target, too.

>  > Richard, if this really wasn't the plan, can it please be addressed in
>  > the GCC 2.8.1 branch?
>
> I guess, all COFF systems which use gcc's crtbegin/crtend are broken; hence
> we actually need to address this!

Agreed.   This is why I analyzed it and asked for discussion.   I've
heard nothing so far.

I'm rather convinced that it's just wrong and should just be removed.

--
Robert Lipe       http://www.dgii.com/people/robertl       robertl@dgii.com