Re: Egcs on Linux/Alpha (RH4.2)

  In message <199801221041.LAA01533@luchs.tfa.maschinenbau.tu-darmstadt.de>you
write:
  > it looks like I succesfully compiled egcs-1.0.1-1 on RH4.2-Linux/Alpha
  > (PC164, 500MHz, 256MB RAM):
Agreed -- test results look pretty typical for alphas.

  > 	alphaev5-unknown-linux-gnulibc1,
  > but how to interpret the output of the check-routine is not said on
Right.  We never got around to writing suitable text on how to interpret
testresults.

  > 	http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/install/test.html
  > and my question is: can I safely install egcs in /usr and by doing
  > this overwrite my existing gcc???
That's up to you -- the test results look good, but only you can decide
if you want to overwrite your system compiler.

Note that by default egcs will install itself into /usr/local/...,
which shouldn't overwrite your system compiler.

jeff