Re: [haible@ilog.fr: [patch] make install]

   Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 12:08:30 -0500 (EST)
   From: Craig Burley <burley@gnu.org>

   One thing I noticed long ago, and have lost track of as an
   issue, is that some GNU products treat "make install" as,
   essentially, the same thing as "make all" followed by "make
   install".  That is, installation is assumed to pertain to the
   entire product, so anything not already built is built.  But,
   other GNU products interpret "make install" to mean "install
   whatever I have already built", so nothing new is built.  I'm
   not sure which is best offhand, but for products that offer
   dynamic specification of which *components* of a product to
   build, the latter has some advantages.

The GNU standards say that `make install' should compile the program.

Some packages use install-only to just install the existing binaries.

Ian