-fcheck-memory-usage, Checker, Purify, and core files.

  Purify with EGCS on our Sparcs is making a royal racket, but
successfully links everything I've wasted time one when given the
correct options, (I hope to send tips explaining how to get it working
or at least what works for me).

So I looked into the new -fcheck-memory-usage option...

  When even a simple program (one malloc) is compiled with this option it
causes an internal compiler error 11 (SEGV), and dumps a 10 Meg core
file (this has been reported by at least two people already).  There
is no text documentation on this option, so I grep'ed and scanned the
EGCS source for info, not knowing anything about the compiler internals
there wasn't much gleaned.  From the change log I see patch that
added this option was submitted into the GNU baseline August 2nd 1997
by Tristan Gingold, (the author of Checker).
  On August 3rd EGCS branched off.  I suspect that more changes where made
to the GNU baseline related to this option since then, but it hasn't
been copied over.  (At that time I could only speculate... now that
GGCS 2.8.0 is out I can check for myself).

  Tristan said that all of his changes were submitted to the GNU group
and accepted, he hasn't submitted to EGCS.  Also that this option is
relies on the next version of Checker, which should come out soon.

  Could someone with access to the GGCS repository merge any additional
patches into EGCS?  I will try looking at 2.8.0 if no one speaks up...
yeah learning curve.
  Meanwhile, could the command line parser engine for EGCS simply say that
this option is unsupported at this time (give a date)?  So others don't
waste time figuring out why the compiler cores...

--

    Thanks,
      Mike Simons