Re: auto_ptr in egcs-1.0.1 ?

We've enabled auto_ptr, using the FDIS specification, in our internal
version.  The only reason we haven't released it yet is that we've
been making other changes too, and we're not quite ready yet for another
release.  It'll be a fairly major release, actually.  (Some rather big
bug fixes in ropes, a standard-conforming basic_string<> class,
a bitset<> class, and support for standard-conforming allocators
with non-equal instances.)

We had to compromise just a bit with auto_ptr, since the FDIS
specification runs into compiler bugs on lots of different front
ends, including EDG.  However, that's not a terribly big deal; most
compilers permit binding a non-const reference to a temporary (although
some compilers complain a bit), so, on compilers that can't handle the
tricky template conversion stuff, we just use the more straightforward
version from CD-1.  It's technically illegal, but it'll work for the
moment.

I'd be interested in hearing about bugs in auto_ptr in the latest released
version, though.  They may not apply to the auto_ptr that we now have,
of course, but it's undoubtedly worth looking at.

			--Matt Austern