Re: patch: alpha haifa abort

>>>>> John Carr writes:

John> Most of it isn't hard to implement; one tricky problem is reload.  Reload
John> assumes that it is always good to move a value into a register.  POWER and
John> SPARC v9 have byte-swapping load instructions but no corresponding
John> register-register operations.  These instructions also have limited
John> addressing.

	I have been looking for ways to teach GCC to generate the PowerPC
byte-swapping instructions (they are not present in the original POWER
architecture which did not have a sense of little-endian ordering) for
years.  Michael Tiemann and I discussed this many years ago, but GCC
combine pass does not see enough RTL patterns at one time.

David