fortran regression [was Re: Results for egcs-971207 on m68k-next-nextstep3]

 Toon> GNU Fortran Front End version 0.5.22-19970929
 Toon> dimstar.f: In subroutine `star':
 Toon> dimstar.f:1:
 Toon>          subroutine star(aap, noot)
 Toon>                          ^
 Toon> Array `aap' at (^) is too large to handle

 Toon> Seems that an earlier fix of this didn't make into the main
 Toon> (non-release) branch.

[I only noticed this by accident since since nothing in the subject
caught my eye or score file.]

It looks to me more like a problem with some recent backend change,
though I haven't been able to debug it yet -- I always have trouble
seeing the wood for the TREEs.  Shouldn't the ChangeLog list
individual changes from the gcc2 merge, BTW?

In case someone else has a chance to sort it out before I do, the
error report occurs (on my x86-linux box) because the TREE_OVERFLOW
clause in ffecom_check_size_overflow_ from f/com.c returns true, run
on g77.f-torture/compile/toon_1.f.  (I think the original bug was
cured by the addition of the `dummy' arg to that procedure, but I'm
not sure since the test case doesn't contain a reference, hint.
Perhaps Craig can confirm.)