-malign-*=0 vs 2

Several days ago I asked what the correct value for the -malign-* options should
be.  The unanimous answer was 0 on a pentium.  Fine, but now I'm trying to
use egcs to recompile my kernel (linux 2.0.32) and notice that Linus has hard
coded -malign-*=2 for the 586 architecture.  Is this correct for gcc2 but
not for egcs?  Is this correct for the kernel?  For now, I've changed the values
to zero (for my pentium), but would like someone to comment on why this is
correct, and why Linus is wrong.

David Ronis