Re: Environment variable to pass in options?

>SCO has had a similar feature in their tools for a long time.  You can
>stuff things in environmental flags or in /etc/default/cc.
>
>I thoroughly hate this feature for the very reason Jeff describes.
>I have people constantly asking me "why does the compiler do XXX"
>and I spend a while beating on it and say, "it doesn't".   They
>send a test case and say, "does too".  I test their test case and
>say, "does not".   This is when they find out the system admin or
>some other coworker added '-Obazillion -UseSomeEsotericThing' to
>one of the above places and that's causing the wierdness.
>
>Yes, I sometimes wish my compile lines would fit on a single 80 column
>screen to increase the density of my 'make' output.  But after a couple
>rounds of playing the above game, I get over it.

Chuckle, sounds like a pain.  There are, however, some instances when it could
be helpful :) .. atleast from my perspective.  Compile options might be making
my needs to generalized.  What I really want is some way to specify a path or
set of paths that would have the same effect as having a bazillion -Isomedir in
my compile line.  I tried each of these to no avail: CPATH, C_INCLUDE_PATH, and
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH.  Anything else I could possibly try? :)

- - - - -
Louis R. Marascio                  A.K.A Louis Armistead and Jim McCraken
Email: lmarasci@stevens-tech.edu   "We have plenty of psychological abuse
ICQ: 4270107                        in stock" -- Ripped from jsm