Re: install stuff

  In message <199712010928.BAA13558@cygnus.com>you write:
  > configure:
  > Make sure cc (gcc is _not_ enough, eventually make a symlink from gcc to
  > cc) is in your PATH or start configure with "CC=/path/to/your/ccompiler
  > configure", otherwise config.guess will guess wrong for some native
  > platforms (notably alpha and powerpc), but configure will success cause it
  > finds gcc later.
Can you have examples of problems this causes?  I've had no problems with
this on the alpha (either osf or linux).

  > ix86-*-linux-gnu*:
  > typo, it should be binutils-2.8.1.0.15
Thanks.  Fixed.

  > powerpc-*-linux-gnu*:
  > You will need binutils-2.8.1.0.17 available from
  > <ftp://ftp.yggdrasil.com/private/hjl> for a working egcs. It is strongly
  > recommended to recompile binutils with egcs if you initially built it with
  > gcc-2.7.2.*.
Is this really correct?? -- I know Meissner's been working with a ppc/linux
box, but I don't know if he's using the new binutils.  Exactly what problems
does this binutils fix?

jeff