Re: would a gcc by any other name still smell?

> >   > If we do this, we're damned because it's not the FSF release and
> >   > it would make it difficult to have both EGCS and GCC installed at
> >   > the same time.

There have been multiple responses to this that are all technically
correct and obvious to many on this list, but not the unwashed masses.

> Use different paths for the two compilers.  e.g. configure the egcs
> compiler as --prefix=/usr/local/egcs , and then if you like, say

The point is that it's "difficult" becuase it requires a non-zero
amount of user intervention and violate the "principle of least
suprise" when typing 'configure ; make all install' clobbers the
user's installed other compiler.  (Or a make all install of that
other one clobbers parts of egcs.)

I don't see a particularly appealing solution at this point, but I
think we should at least mention it somewhere so when the user screws
their system, we can point to a file and say "Told you so". :-)

RJL