Re: EGCS-970929 and GNAT-3.10p?

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Richard Henderson wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 1997 at 09:51:43AM -0600, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> >   > It probably looks that way since you probably have no idea how much work
> >   > it is doing. :) It is not really that slow as far as Ada compilers go.
> > :-) :-)  It certainly seems slow to me :-)
>
> I heard a story that the first program to be compiled in Ada was
> a version of Hello World, and it took 76 minutes to build...

I have never heard that story but remember that the original Ada language
standard was approved in 1983 with the initial request for language
proposals dating back into the 70's.  So you are looking at a prototype
compiler on at best an early VAX. :)

Things have come a long way since then.  Just look at the Linux vs
Ultrasparc C++ numbers posted on the list. :)

--joel