Cygnus Supported GCC vs. EGCS GCC

Hello-

I have the following question about the Cygnus Support version of GCC
and the EGCS version on the Sun "Ultra 1 Model 170".  I compiled and
ran an optimized version of a program with the following (approximate)
relative speed performances:

COMPILER                                    SPEED
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -fast:                 1.0         (baseline)
FSF-GCC 2.7.2  (-02):                       1.4
EGCS-GCC 971008 (-mcpu=ultrasparc -O2)      1.4

So it appears that FSF-GCC 2.7.2 and EGCS-GCC 971008 are both about
40% slower than the Sun compiler when using optimzation.

Does anyone know if I should I expect about the same 40% performance
hit from the Cygnus Support version of GCC?  Put differently, does
anyone know if Cygnus has implemented more specific optimization for
the Ultra Sparc processor?

Another issue which I'm confused about is this: is there a common
branch point for Cygnus-GCC and EGCS-GCC?  If there is, how long ago
were the two versions the same?

        Thanks very much (in advance) for any answers to these
        questions,

                -Fred Richardson