cpp doesn't define symbol i386

Hi,

I noticed that cpp does not define the symbol i386 anymore. But this
symbol is necessary for xmkmf/imake under X. Now imake will not detect
that it is running on a i386 architecture. I see that that the defines
are in the spec-File but this isn't read bei cpp :-(.
As a dirty hack I have written a wrapper for imake but this can't be the
right solution. Any suggestions?

thx,
ron

--