Is __USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__ really necessary?

Hi there,

I have to build  gcc (and egcs)  on various systems including very old
ones, where the /usr/include  files don't contain many  prototypes. My
question now is: Is there any good reason for the prototypes generated
by fix-header to be bracketed by

#if defined(__USE_FIXED_PROTOTYPES__) ...
#endif

In  the past I removed this  particular check and  had no trouble with
it. Would  it   be possible  to  emit   them without this   particular
dependency? What do you think?

Best wishes
--
 Manfred Hollstein                               Alcatel, Dept. US/EC4
 <mailto:manfred@lts.sel.alcatel.de>             Lorenzstrasse 10