Re: purify experiments

>> > So it seems that the problem must be related to too much being saved in
>> > obstacks.  Are all the generated template functions being saved, as for
>> > inline functions?
>>
>> Yes, and for the same reason: we don't know how they should be handled
>> until end-of-file.

Joe> Also, even if we *do* need to save everything, any clues as to why the
Joe> representation is so large?  It's on the order of 1000 times as large
Joe> as simply writing out the .ii file three times (for the three different
Joe> expansions).

	I know that we do not want to have multiple passes over the source
and do not want temporary files for intermediate passes, but it surely
sounds like an incorrect trade-off between space and time/computation is
being made.  The template functions can be regenerated when needed, so
maybe they should be saved in a more compact, high-level form -- more like
the original source.

David