Re: increase in object code size

> From: Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>
> To: mrs@wrs.com (Mike Stump)
> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 97 21:28:54 PDT

> > There is already code (can_throw (insn)) in there that know that can
> > throw and what can't.  If people use it, then both camps come out
> > winning.

> I don't understand.  How will this permit safe throws from async signals?

Let me start off by saying that it isn't safe.  I think we all know
this.  The language standard doesn't permit code to rely upon it.
There is a reason why that it.  On some platforms, even though it
appears to work, sometimes it won't, so in yet another sense it isn't
safe.

It may be necessary on some platforms to extend the compiler out to
deal properly with dummy signal frames and the like for much of
anything to work.  On some platforms this isn't necessary.  The fact
remains that some people do want this, and are doing it today.  They
aren't looking for guarantees, what they are looking for for a way out
when they have already lost, a last chance at surviving.