Re: testing consistency

> Meanwhile, f77 gets configured, but does not get built, so there is no
> problem other than the fact that builds take a little longer than
> necessary.

Another problem is that, the way the configure is done, it is easy to wind
up with bad data in the config.cache files for the f77 runtime.  The
reason is that you wind up with something like the following in
gcc/f/runtime/config.cache (I've replaced the directory containing
the egcs distribution with <SRCDIR>).

ac_cv_prog_CC=${ac_cv_prog_CC='<SRCDIR>/gcc/xgcc -B<SRCDIR>/gcc/'}

It's easy to arrive at a situation where configure is re-run in this
directory but the pointed-to xgcc no longer exists; if so, builds fail
even if you say LANGUAGES=c.

It would be more robust if we could avoid placing definitions of
ac_cv_prog_CC like this in the cache.