Re: strtoul vs g77

>Jeffrey A Law writes:
>
>> I've added autoconf code to automatically detect when strtoul and
>> bsearch should be compiled into f771 from proj.c.
>
>I had thought of doing that as soon as egcs started, but there's the
>cross-compiler issue.  Will your tests behave correctly in case of
>cross-compilation?

I hope this all works.  It'd be a *huge* relief if it did.  As
any of you might observe in my commentary in gcc/f/proj.c, we
*did* attempt to do this a couple of years ago (or so -- has it
been that long?!).  The effect worked on SunOS systems IIRC, but
it *broke* the configuration on some systems that *did* have a
working ANSI C library, complete with bsearch() and strtoul(),
and we couldn't figure out why.

So maybe enough time has passed and bugs in tools we were relying
upon (autoconf, ld, shells, sed, who knows what ;-) have been
fixed.

But just a word of caution -- if you write a perfectly reasonable
autoconf clause that *should* detect strtoul, but somehow results
in breakages on ANSI C systems, don't worry that you're the first
person to run into this problem.  Just worry that you're the first
to fix it (I hope).  :)

Sure is nice having lots more people look at, and care about, g77.

        tq vm, (burley)