Re: testing consistency

  In message <m0x9Dxj-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:

  > >   In message <m0x9DaB-0004ecC@ocean.lucon.org>you write:
  > >   > When you do
  > >   >
  > >   > # configure
  > >   >
  > >   > on linux or any platforms where gcc is the native, default
  > >   > compiler, prefix should be /usr, not /usr/local. Please
  > >   > check out egcs/gcc/configure.in to see what it does.
  > > I disagree.
  > >
  > > I've worked on such systems for years; and if installing egcs
  > > overwrote my system compiler I'd scream bloody murder.
  >
  > I only said "using gcc as the default compiler".
default compiler == system compiler or am I missing something?

  > > Overwriting the default native compiler should require explicit
  > > "permission" from the user -- ie "--prefix=/usr".
  > >

  > That is kind of strange.
  >
  > 1. Only the gcc driver is overridden. The compiler is still
  > there.
Right, but instead of getting the compiler which you know works and
won't scrog your kernel, init or something else important you're
getting a new compiler which you likely know little about.

If you want to install egcs as the default compiler for you system,
you'll have to use a prefix option.

Yes, the old compiler is still there, but by default you'll end up
with the new, less tested egcs compiler.  And when you go to build
your kernel and it doesn't work you're going to be pissed.

  > Install gcc under /usr on linux has been done for years now.
I assume because of various hacks you've been distributing to the
linux community, or has there been something in the standard gcc
releases to do this?

gcc has always installed itself into /usr/local by default and
that's the behavior the vast majority of users expect.

Having gcc install itself into /usr seems absolutely and horribly
wrong to me.  I won't install that patch.

Jim, of course, may have different opinions.

jeff