Re: Building EGCS from scratch

> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 23:47:01 -0700
> From: "Steven J. Madsen" <steve@moonglade.com>
> To: egcs@cygnus.com

> It seems that EGCS is sorely missing documentation on what needs to be built
> for <foo> OS, and in what order.

It isn't missing, though some of the simplicity seems to have been
obscured over the years.  It is configure; make; make install, that's
about it, and that is the order.  Yes, it should really be this
simple, any deviation from this simplicity, is a bug, and will
probably be addressed in time.  There are many other options on this
basic scheme and other variations are possible.  I for one would like
to see the first configure become optional, so that the default make
target of the shipped Makefile does a configure, then a normal make.
That would mean we are then down to `make; make install' for the
normal case, and we'd be back to the original unix philosophy.  Cross
cases and special order things are harder, but that is ok.

Building this way is the most basic and simplest, and works on most
GNU software.  Hopefully it is easy enough to memorize.