Re: egcs-970828: Some nits

  In message <199709030345.XAA26447@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>you write:
  > - At least with gcc-2.7.2.2.f.2 under Linux, it won't build by 'make': The
  >   spec file created in .../gcc/ is picked up by gcc (?!), which doesn't
  >   like it at all.
OK.  We've had a couple reports of a similar problem, so we need to track
this down.

The first thing we should do is make sure your gcc-2.7.2.2.f.2 has a properly
installed specs file.

Can you look in the gcc-lib/<config>/<version> directory for your 2.7.2.2.f.2
install and verify that it has a specs file?

  > - Line 2201 of ...gcc/invoke.texi contains your address with a single '@'
  >   in it, makeinfo chokes on that and kills the installation
Yup.  It'll be fixed for the next snapshot.

  > - It would be nice to install as something like 'gcc-2.8.0' &c, so it
  >   doesn't kill your setup
I think the way to do this is to use the --prefix option to install the
binaries into a different location.  egcs  is _not_ gcc-2.8.

  > - What happened to the ChangeLog files? I've only got .10 and .11 for gcc,
  >   it seems a lot of history got lost...
All ChangeLog files before gcc-2.7.2 have been purged to reduce the size of
distributions.  Odds are we'll put the old ones on the ftp server for those
folk that want to review them.

  > - Please don't bundle this much stuff into the distributions, you might as
  >   well assume people are able to get texinfo &c on their own.
I disagree.  The more self contained the distribution is the more likely it
will work out of the box, which makes it more appealing to most folks.

Including texinfo is actually smaller than including all the .info* files.

Jeff