Re: c++/10661

The following reply was made to PR c++/10661; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ices.utexas.edu>
To: Jason Merrill <jason@redhat.com>
Cc: Giovanni Bajo <giovannibajo@libero.it>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c++/10661
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 13:51:50 -0500 (CDT)

 > Hmm, the analysis in the PR is correct; the testcase is ill-formed.  My
 > patch will make it work, but probably isn't worth applying; I don't think
 > well-formed code will have the same problem.

 I would appreciate some patch nevertheless: the testcase presently just
 ICEs, without any prior error message. Whether you make the testcase
 compile properly or reject it with an error, I don't care, but anything
 should be better than just an ICE!

 Giovanni: you asked about tests with older compilers -- your testcase ICEs
 every compiler from 2.95 to 3.3. It works with 3.4, i.e. we get a proper
 error message. Fixing the issue with the missing "template" allows
 compilers since 3.0 to succeed, 2.95 still ICEs.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/