Re: preprocessor/10614: -Wtrigraphs does not catch // ??/

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/10614; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no>
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
Cc: gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
    Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>,
    gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: preprocessor/10614: -Wtrigraphs does not catch // ??/
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 12:24:20 +0200

 Neil Booth writes:
 > You could persuade me that it's worthwhile warning for ??/ followed by
 > a newline in any kind of comment with -Wtrigraphs.

 Sounds good.  As I said in report preprocessor/10613, I think it's
 important to warn about _silent_ changes from ISO C.

 I suggest you also warn about ??/ <spaces/tabs> <newline>, since
 gcc ignores these spaces/tabs (with a warning).

 > it would warn about ??/ followed by a newline in C block comments that
 > don't change behaviour, but I don't think that would bother those who
 > want trigraph warnings off in comments.

 Right.  If it bothers anyone, you could add a comment in the -Wtrigraphs
 doc that ??/<newline> in comments is warned about because it _may_
 change the meaning of the program, and leave it at that.

 > Is that an acceptable compromise?

 Yes, fine.

 --
 Hallvard