Re: preprocessor/10613: Please make -Wtrigraphs the default

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/10613; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk>
Cc: Hallvard B Furuseth <h.b.furuseth@usit.uio.no>,  gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: preprocessor/10613: Please make -Wtrigraphs the default
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 18:13:57 -0700

 Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.co.uk> writes:

 > Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:-
 >
 >> 	Gcc *silently* compiles code like `puts("??!")' incorrectly: It
 >> 	prints `??!' instead of `|'.  I agree that not converting
 >> 	trigraphs is the best default, they are most likely programmer
 >> 	errors.  However, fixing a programmer error without telling the
 >> 	programmer is very bad, we'll test our code and think it's
 >> 	correct when it will misbehave with other (correct) compilers.
 >
 > That would be OK with me.  What do you think, Zack?  There's always
 > -Wno-trigraphs for those who don't want it.

 This is one of a *lot* of warnings that GCC issues only at -Wall,
 which indicate a bug with >90% confidence.  So I don't think there
 is anything wrong with the status quo; however, I would not object
 to enabling this warning by default.  We could do it experimentally
 in 3.4 and see how many people complain.

 The suggested documentation change is a good idea.

 zw