Re: c++/10244: [3.4 regression] In error messages for templates, template type is no longer displayed

Synopsis: [3.4 regression] In error messages for templates, template type is no longer displayed

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: reichelt
State-Changed-When: Tue Apr 29 20:46:04 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Not a bug, IMHO.

    It's a consequence of improved two-stage name-lookup.
    Since BOGUS is not a dependant name, the parser can see that this is a bug,
    while parsing the template (a not while instantiating it). As you can see,
    not only the "[with T = int]" is missing, but also the
    "compiler_bug.cc:9:   instantiated from here" line. There is in fact no
    value for T when the error message is issued.

    On the other hand, if I change the code to

    template <class T> void f(T) { T::BOGUS; }
    int main() { f (1); }

    the compiler has to wait for the instantiation to be able to see that
    BOGUS is really bogus. In this case I get:

    bogus.cc: In function `void f(T) [with T = int]':
    bogus.cc:2:   instantiated from here
    bogus.cc:1: error: `int' is not an aggregate type

    which does make sense to me.

    Regards,
    Volker

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10244